Thursday, February 2, 2017

Week 3 Story Planning: The Four



Content
  • Sugriva and Hanuman both monkey kings I like the incorporation of animal (spirits)
-I want to use the idea of having animals with human characteristics. In addition I want to have only one Monkey King who is very likable, strong, and helpful.

  • Rama kills Vali in an unorthodox way, considered disrespect
-Use this disrespectful killing as an internal conflict for Rama, story needs to show some downfall of Rama which he can grow from.

  • The rainy season is kind of a poor excuse to halt the quest for Sita
-I want to change this to a better reason, possibly a huge storm or something. I am picturing this in a desert so a sandstorm would be a better excuse. 

  • Hanuman finds Ravana (evil one in my story) 
-Our new friend finds the antagonist, want this to have the feel of it being too easy. This should turn into a trap where Rama has to rescue.
  • Ravana is kind of an a-hole and sets Hunuman's tail on fire (even more reason to dislike him)
  • City gets set on fire due to this, plan completely backfires (love it)
-Need to show this side of Ravana in order to get the reader to dislike him. I want to give him characteristics of being slimy, persuasive, and a cheat.


Styles
I want to use more character narrative, I think this will help develop and form each character.
I also want to use some dramatic irony with the Sita brainwash issue

Character Sketch
Rama: Need to solidify his position as the good guy but also show is internal conflict
Monkey King yet to be named: A loyal companion, strong, and willing to die for a cause
Ravana: as mentioned before, shady, slimy, corrupt, and a cheat
Vali: A good character who should not have been killed



"Hanuman's Burning Tail" Source: Wiki Commons


Bibliography


Authors Note
This story is loosely based off the stories of Ramayana. This story focuses on two cities and an avatar named Rama. Rama is fierce with a bow and kills many dark creatures. He ends up marrying the kings daughter after completing the challenge of breaking the sacred bow. Rama is soon exiled by his father for fourteen years. Fortunately for Rama, his wife Sita and brother accompany him. I used some characters from this story and ideas of dark and light to fuel the overlying theme.

3 comments:

  1. These are some great twists for a new story from the Ramayana! I didn't read this version, but I agree that just having a rainy season wouldn't seem like a very good reason to stop searching for Sita. I think your story will be really cool when you write it, and I will have to check back here and look for it in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vann, I also thought that postponing the search for Sita because of rain is pretty silly. That was one thing I did not like about the story. Your planning is great! I like that you want to show how evil Ravana is. He is kind of an a-hole. I don't know about you, but I hated the way part D ended, very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your twists to Ramayana (specifically the whole storm or sandstorm idea and Hanuman’s capture). I think my favorite part of Ramayana was Hanuman burning the city as revenge for Ravana setting his tail on fire. I wrote my story this week because it was h.i.l.a.r.i.o.u.s! What kind of character narrative are you wanting to do for story? Rama would be understandable, but Hanuman might be an interesting perspective, and you could show Rama’s internal conflict and your captured scene through Hanuman too.

    ReplyDelete