Monday, January 23, 2017

Growth Mindset


This was the first time I have heard of Carol Dwek and the Growth Mindset. After reading and viewing the videos I reflected on my life to see where I have a growing mindset versus a fixed mindset. In my academics I believe I have both. Growth comes in the form of learning new things and new ways to solve a problem. Fixed comes in the form of my study habits and organization. Studying at OU has taught me many things about myself. For instance, I learn best by reviewing examples in complete silence in a room alone. My biggest challenge about learning new things is getting over old habits; each problem in engineering is different and they cannot all be solved the same way. My personal goals for this semester is to get mostly A's, a few classes such as Dynamics and Circuits worry me.


"Strong Brain" Source: Pixabay






2 comments:

  1. It was my first time hearing about Carol Dwek as well, but I believe that the information in the video should be presented to more audiences. I agree that growth comes from learning knew things. You must add to your repertoire of life experiences that help you progress. I agree that old habits can stunt your growth. I agree that all problems can't be solved the same way. Especially with aspirations of becoming a surgeon, I know that you must change your approach to every medical case that you get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time i heard of the growth mind set, was, i believe, in Human Sexuality II. It was pushing the idea of equal learning and education opportunities for everyone. A lot of what Carol Dwek says, I agree with. Progressive education and being proactive is much better than a reactive education.

    ReplyDelete